Exercise and Sports Studies
Benedictine offers a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Exercise and Sports Studies in addition to the B.A. in Physical Education. The B.A. in Exercise and Sports Studies offers students an opportunity to enter the fields of health, fitness and athletics outside of a teacher education program.
The Exercise and Sports Studies major consists of:
- Education: Foundational courses in Physical Education*
- Sport applications: Additional courses in current issues, sport administration, sport psychology, sport law, drugs in society and prevention and care of athletic injuries provide the wider range of knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to work in diverse health and fitness settings.
- Practical experience: Field experience in internship courses is required to expose students to professional practice in the field.
- Research methods: A capstone writing project and presentation requires students to demonstrate an understanding of basic independent research skills.
Choosing between Exercise and Sports Studies or Physical Education Programs
The B.A. in Exercise and Sports Studies is right for you if:
- You wish to enter the fields of health, fitness or athletics.
- You want to enter a master’s level program in Clinical Exercise Physiology.
The B.A. in Physical Education is right for you if:
- You want to enter into a teacher education program focusing on the area of physical education.
- You want a teaching career in a K-12 school setting.
What careers are available with a degree in Exercise and Sports Studies?
Career choices of Exercise and Sports Studies majors include:
- Collegiate or professional athletics
- College/University strength and conditioning
- Health and fitness industry
- Personal training
- Corporate fitness
- Community organizations (YMCA, park districts, etc.)
- Hospital medical facility