Grammar and punctuation are writing skills that every good writer is constantly seeking to improve.
Many students own a copy of The St. Martin's Handbook - 8th edition because it is required for WRIT 101, 102, and 104. This book has a great deal of information about grammar and mechanics and is worth owning.
Here are several electronic sources to help you:
- Online Writing Laboratory (OWL) - Purdue University
- Diagramming Sentences - University of Central Florida (online software)
- Grammar Girl (website)
"Grammar Girl provides short, friendly tips to improve your writing. Covering the grammar rules and word choice guidelines that can confound even the best writers, Grammar Girl makes complex grammar questions simple with memory tricks to help you recall and apply those troublesome grammar rules."
- GrammarNOW! (website)
"grammarNOW! has a wealth of resources to make your writing better and to answer any grammar, punctuation, or composition question you may have."
- Guide to Grammar and Writing (website)
Detailed explanations of grammar and language use, quizzes, and strategies for effective essay writing.
- Guide to Punctuation (.pdf)
- TED Talk: Comma Story - How to use commas (website)
- Writing with Parallel Structure (.pdf)
- The Online Presence of The St. Martin's Handbook - 8th edition
Over 9,000 free online writing exercises that provide practice in important writing skills. Additional writing resources, including sample essays, strategies for creating different kinds of arguments, working with online sources, and more.