Students are the lifeblood of any university. Through the collaborative efforts of our various offices, we help students make informed choices about continuing their education. We provide a welcoming atmosphere that reflects the best of the Benedictine values of hospitality and a concern for the development of each individual.
Welcome to the New Student Advising Center website at Benedictine University!
Thank you for visiting. Our office is here to provide quality advising services as well as offer resources to new Freshman and Transfer students.
Students who will be starting at Benedictine University this coming Spring 2015 will be assigned an academic advisor from the New Student Advising Center. Once you have tested and paid your tuition deposit, an academic advisor will contact you by phone or e-mail to schedule an advising appointment. We look forward to working with you.
Spring 2015 Registration will begin on Nov 3rd. All students must meet with their academic advisor prior to registering for classes. If you don't meet with your advisor, you will have an advising hold on your account which will prevent any registration activity. Group advising sessions for freshman will be held for certain majors. If you are in the following majors, please take note of your meeting times. If your major is not listed below, then you must set up an individual appointment with your academic advisor.
College of Science Majors –Oct. 16th or 23rd in
College of Business Majors –Oct. 30th in Scholl 101
College of Education Majors –Oct. 30th in Kindlon 162
Psychology/Sociology and Criminal Justice Majors –Oct. 30th in Birck 218
Nutrition Majors –Oct. 30th in Kindlon 161
Exercise and Sports Studies Majors –Oct. 30th in Kindlon 163
Don't forget to double check
your MyBenU account to make sure that there are no holds on your student
account. A hold will prevent registration from taking place. Here
are a list of holds and the specific offices offering assistance:
- Financial Hold –contact Financial Aid at 630 829 6006 or visit them in Lownik Hall
- Library Hold- contact Library Services located in Kindlon Hall
- High School Transcript Hold- submit official High School transcripts to the Enrollment Center;this form indicates the student's official graduation date
- Advisor Hold- see your advisor
- Health Services Hold- contact Health Services located in Krasa Student Center
Make sure you familiarize yourself with how to register for classes. Online registration tutorials can be found at:www.ben.edu/campus_resources/registrar/course-schedule.cfm or you can attend a Registration Tutorial Session on Nov 6th from 12:30-1:20pm in Scholl 101.
For more information on the Spring 2015 Registration Packet. Click Here.
Statement on Academic Advising
At Benedictine University academic advising is grounded in Benedictine values and the University mission. It is an interactive process between the advisor and student and is supported by technology. The goal is to promote each student's academic, career and personal development.
Faculty and staff are committed to creating a decision-making framework through which students can identify and realize their educational goals. Although academic advising is a collaborative function of both student and advisor, the final responsibility for satisfying University and major requirements rests with the student.
The student actively participates in the educational decision-making process.
- Become knowledgeable of all the University's academic requirements, policies and procedures
- Develop and maintain a plan for a course of study
- Keep an accurate record of academic activities and documents
- Value the role of the advisor by preparing for and keeping advising appointments
- Initiate and maintain open and honest communication with the advisor
- Access additional University resources to facilitate the decision-making process
The advisor listens to and guides the student through the educational decision-making process.
- Foster the student's sense of responsibility for his/her academic progress
- Help the student obtain accurate information about educational and career options, academic requirements, policies and procedures
- Help the student plan and monitor an educational program consistent with individual interests and abilities
- Assist the student in maintaining an accurate record of course registrations and completions
- Be available on a scheduled basis for academic consultation and advice
- Refer the student to appropriate University resources
Chinese faculty study teaching methods at Benedictine
Read More >>
October 29, 2014
Benedictine students rank in Global Top 100 for Business Strategy Game
Read More >>
October 24, 2014
Benedictine to focus Springfield branch campus on adult, graduate students
Read More >>