Why study Health Science at Benedictine University Mesa?
If you are interested in a health-related career and want a challenging yet flexible academic preparation, you may choose to major in Health Science at BenU Mesa. Our program prepares you for further study toward careers in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, physical or occupational therapy, podiatry, veterinary medicine and other health related professions. Benedictine University Mesa has a close working relationship with many outstanding medical facilities in the Phoenix area and with many individual professionals who supervise our students in unique practical observation experience. Our program is recognized by many area professional schools as providing excellent preparation for success.
What comprises the major in Health Science?
- Introductory Biology - Principles of Organismal Biology (3 semester credit hours) and Principles of Biology and Lab (4 semester credit hours).
- Chemistry - 16 semester credit hours: four courses in General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry with labs.
- Biochemistry - 3 semester credit hours (Principles of Biochemistry or Biochemistry)
- Physics - 8 semester credit hours: two courses in college Physics with Lab or University Physics with Lab.
- Math - at least 3 semester credit hours: College Trigonometry or proficiency in a higher mathematics course. Note: some health professional programs may require calculus.
- Health Science Core: (22 semester credit hours) - Microbiology, Genetics, Anatomy, Human Physiology, Biostatistics, Cell Biology and a writing-intensive seminar course.
- Science Electives: 10 semester credit hours of advanced science (200 level or above); at least 5 semester credit hours must be at the 300 level.
- Health Science Practicum - A 2 semester credit-hour clinical experience in physical or occupational therapy, dentistry, podiatry, veterinary medicine, optometry or medicine is available as an elective.
How does the program work?
- Excellent academic preparation through biology and cognate math and science coursework prepares you with both the science knowledge and the higher-level thinking skills to succeed in a health care center.
- Practicum: Clinical experience for credit in at least one health science specialty is offered to students in the Health Science major. Tis course gives students the opportunity to observe professionals in the field, leading to a better understanding of the rewards and challenges found in your chosen health care profession.
- Advising: You will consult with advisors in both basic science and clinical fields regarding academic preparation and application to professional schools. Our director of Pre-Professional Health Programs and the Health Science Recommendation Committee, the latter comprised of faculty members who have intimate knowledge of the academic subject matter and the qualifications necessary to be successful in a health-related career, will help guide your path.