Please click here for the latest information regarding Benedictine University's response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
The Jurica-Suchy Nature Museum houses a collection of over 50,000 specimens. Much of our collection was built by the Jurica brothers, beginning in the early 1920's. The tradition of collecting life science specimens was continued with great enthusiasm by Fr. Suchy, O.S.B. over the past 40 years.
In 2001, the museum moved from Scholl Hall to Birck Hall any many of the displays were enhanced and expanded. The most recent renovations, completed in 2011, included the formation and finishing touches on the five large-scale dioramas around the museum.
Since that time, the museum has only been able to accept donations of specimens on a case-by-case basis. Due to storage constraints and limited display space, we currently are not actively seeking donations of specimens. However, we do still consider donations of specimens on a very limited basis, as outlined by our collections policy.
Our director-curator, Karly Tumminello, would be happy to discuss any potential donations of specimens, and outline the current policies we have regarding specimen donations. Please contact her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or (630) 829-6531.
Please note: All specimens must have been obtained legally and ethically, and must have all proper documentation included. Delivery of specimens to the museum must be arranged in advance. Donors must sign all agreement forms.