Lisle, Illinois ~ Benedictine University has planned several community service projects from 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. on Monday, January 19 to commemorate the spirit of service that was engendered by the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Benedictine stresses the importance of caring for the other, and as such, makes many efforts throughout the year to reach out and make a difference in the lives of those in need. The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service is an opportunity for participants to honor the civil rights leader by giving of themselves in a fun and inviting atmosphere.
Volunteers can participate in the following service projects on campus:
• Donate blood to the American Red Cross.
• Make valentines for veterans.
• Write letters to members of the armed forces.
• Make fleece blankets for Advocate Hospice and the Ronald McDonald House (please bring 2 yards of fleece material).
• Build-A-Bear for the Ronald McDonald House at Edwards Hospital.
• Create room decorations for hospital patients.
• Organize birthday bags for children served by local food pantries.
• Construct bird feeders for the elderly.
• Contribute to a bicycle drive (bikes in need of repair accepted) for DuPage Public Action to Deliver Shelter (PADS).
• Pack a backpack with personal hygiene items (deodorant, lip balm, twin-blade razors, shaving cream, hair brush, etc.) for DuPage PADS.
All are welcome to volunteer, but children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
For those who cannot make it to the event but would still like to contribute, the University is accepting donations of fleece, backpacks, school supplies, canned food, cake mixes, frosting, candles, birthday gift bags, new small toys and books.
Items can be dropped off from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. in the Krasa Student Center, Room 020, or taken after 5:00 p.m. to the Benedictine University Police office, located in the lower-level of the parking garage. Those participating in the day of service are also welcome to bring items for donation on the day of the event.
For more information, contact Joan Henehan at firstname.lastname@example.org or (630) 829-6617.
Benedictine University is located in Lisle, Illinois, just 25 miles west of Chicago, and has a branch campus in Mesa, Arizona. Founded as a Catholic university in 1887, Benedictine enrolls more than 5,000 students in 59 undergraduate and 23 graduate programs. Forbes magazine named Benedictine among "America's Top Colleges" for the seventh consecutive year in 2017. Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org). For more information, contact (630) 829-6300, email@example.com or visit ben.edu.