12th Annual Benedictine Pedagogy Conference - June 2018
Saint Anselm College, Manchester, NH

Additional information and registration for the event will become available soon.

About Our Campus

There are many unique places to see at Benedictine University. Several areas are open to the public to explore at your convenience.

 

The Fr. Michael E. Komechak Art Gallery

Fr. Michael E. Komechak Art GalleryOver the last forty years, the university has developed an expansive permanent art collection. The Fr. Michael Komechak, O.S.B. Art Gallery on the 5th floor of Kindlon Hall of Learning  exhibits some of the permanent collection, donations and acquisitions as well as artwork by students, faculty, local, national and international artists.

From the time that you step onto the campus at Benedictine University, look around. The Art Collection is not just in the Art Gallery, the fruit of Fr. Michael’s collecting and his love of art are everywhere. You see it in the hallways, in the stairways, and in every office. Everywhere you look, there is art and through the art you will see the spirit of Fr. Michael.


The Jurica-Suchy Nature Museum

Jurica-Suchy Nature MuseumThe Jurica-Suchy Nature Museum is a small natural history museum located on the 2nd floor of the Michael and Kay Birck Hall of Science.  The museum represents the work of Fr. Hilary Jurica, O.S.B. and his brother, Fr. Edmund Jurica, O.S.B. who collected specimens for their students to use during their almost 100 combined years of teaching at Benedictine University. In the early 1970's, the Museum was placed in the hands of Fr. Theodore Suchy, O.S.B. who grew the collection to over 10,000 specimens, ranging from a tiny aphid to a whale skeleton. The Museum is open to the public to enjoy and learn from the life's work of these three dedicated Monks.

 

Sacred Heart Monastery

Sacred Heart ChapelFounded in 1895, the Benedictine Sisters of the Sacred Heart has a long tradition of serving its local community through education and nursing, as well as working in parishes, helping the homeless and caring for seniors.

The sisters have been in Lisle since 1912, now housed in the Sacred Heart Monastery that's part of the core of the Villa St. Benedict retirement community at Maple and Yackley avenues.

For men and women, married or single, who wish to enhance their prayer life, the Benedictine sisters in Lisle also offer the Oblates of St. Benedict group. The program is a way to volunteer and put into practice Benedictine values with extra prayer. It is another way to make religious life viable and strengthen a person's spiritual journey.

"Transformation has been important throughout our lives as we try to be useful to the church and to the people of God." ~ Sister Mary Bratrsovsky, current Prioress of the community.


St. Procopius Abbey
St. Procopius AbbeyIn 1885, a group of monks of St. Vincent's formed a new monastic community in Chicago in order to pray and work among the Czech and Slovak immigrants so numerous in the American Midwest. Planning for the church and monastery began in 1959, and construction commenced nine years later. In June 1970, the monks moved into their new home. The new Abbey was cited by the American Institute of Architects as one of the most outstanding buildings in the United States.

 


Formal Campus Tours
Benedictine UniversityBenedictine University is a private, Roman Catholic University founded by the monks of St. Procopius Abbey in 1887. In 1901, the "College" moved to the more congenial atmosphere of Lisle. The first building, Benedictine Hall, was dedicated in September 1901. The University has continued to grow and thrive in response to community needs and promotes the traditions of education and hospitality.
   

Stroll the Grounds
Benedictine University is situated on a rolling, tree-covered 108-acre campus. While walking our campus make sure to visit our many hidden treasures.

Stations of the Cross grace the campus in a beautiful outdoor setting. The original stations were donated in the 1950s by the Rooney family and have since been replaced with new stainless steel Stations which are housed in individual covered stands along a lovely pathway on the south end of campus. These Stations are in keeping with the University’s Catholic identity, and provide a place for prayer and reflection.

Ave Maria ShrineThe Ave Maria Shrine (or Statue of Our Lady in Exile) was built in 1954. The dedication ceremony for the statue took place in 1955. The shrine was once again renovated and re-dedicated in 2003. It is located at the end of the Stations of the Cross pathway next to scenic Lake St. Benedict.

Take a stroll on the 1/2 mile nature trail around Lake St. Benedict (boots are recommended as the trail is unpaved and may be muddy).

St. Procopius Abbey CemeteryContinue to the southwest end of campus to visit the historic St. Procopius Abbey Cemetery, where rows of stone terrazzo crosses stand sentry over the graves of Benedictine priests and brothers while parallel rows of yews edge the walkway. 

A larger-than-life rustic granite cross indicates the plots of the religious order's abbots, centered with the founder of the abbey, university and seminary, the Right Rev. John Nepomucene Jaeger in 1924. He was the older brother of Mother Nepomucene Jaeger.

The oldest site is that of brother-novice Bernard Hruby, who became fatally ill at age 16 in 1902. Founders of the university's Jurica Nature Museum, Father Hilary Jurica and his brother, Father Edmund Jurica, are both resting here since the early 1970s.

St Benedict 10th Anniversary 

Center for Mission and Identity

Phone: (630) 829-1316
Email: pedagogy@ben.edu
Website: www.ben.edu/pedagogy
Kindlon Hall, 4th Floor
5700 College Road, Lisle, IL 60532