Statement on Academic Advising

At Benedictine University academic advising is grounded in Benedictine values and the University mission. It is an interactive process between the advisor and student and is supported by technology. The goal is to promote each student's academic, career and personal development.

Faculty and staff are committed to creating a decision-making framework through which students can identify and realize their educational goals. Although academic advising is a collaborative function of both student and advisor, the final responsibility for satisfying University and major requirements rests with the student.

The student actively participates in the educational decision-making process.

Students will:
  • Become knowledgeable of all the University's academic requirements, policies and procedures
  • Develop and maintain a plan for a course of study
  • Keep an accurate record of academic activities and documents
  • Value the role of the advisor by preparing for and keeping advising appointments
  • Initiate and maintain open and honest communication with the advisor
  • Access additional University resources to facilitate the decision making process

The advisor listens to and guides the student through the educational decision making process.

Advisors will:
  • Foster the student's sense of responsibility for his/her academic progress
  • Help the student obtain accurate information about educational and career options, academic requirements, policies and procedures
  • Help the student plan and monitor an educational program consistent with individual interests and abilities
  • Assist the student in maintaining an accurate record of course registrations and completions
  • Be available on a scheduled basis for academic consultation and advice
  • Refer the student to appropriate University resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Registration Issues:

Do I need to keep copies of my own registration documents?

Yes, be sure to always retain copies of all your academic transactions, such as registration forms, add/drop forms, incomplete requests, independent study requests, requests for transfer credit, etc. If you ever need to submit an academic appeal, you will be asked to submit hard copy documentation to support your appeal. Do not rely on your advisor to maintain copies of your documentation.

Can I transfer credits from classes taken at Aurora University or North Central College? What do I need to do to process this request?

Classes taken at Aurora University or North Central College are non-transferable here. Benedictine University, Aurora University, and North Central College are members of the West Suburban Consortium. Part of their agreement allows undergraduate degree seeking students to enroll as exchange students at the host school. You can pick-up a Consortium Exchange Course Authorization form in the Registrar's Office. You will need approval from your academic advisor and the University Registrar first before you can proceed to the host school. Once approved, your credit will not be recognized as transfer credit but as home credit with the credit included in your home tuition and the grade included in your home grade point average. The policy of the Consortium Exchange is on the backside of the Consortium Exchange Course Authorization form.

How do I know if a course is applicable toward the liberal arts core?

Refer to the "Liberal Arts Core Elective List" in the Catalog, which includes a comprehensive listing of Liberal Arts Core classes and the core category in which the classes are classified.

What does "TBA" mean when it appears in the course schedule?

TBA is the abbreviation for "To Be Announced." Academic Departments utilize this terminology when there is an undetermined course time or course location. For details on a course scheduled as "TBA," you may contact the Academic Department Office or check Ben-U Live for the latest information.

If I drop a class after the first week, what appears on the transcript?

If a class is dropped after the first week of the scheduled class (Fall or Spring semester) a "W" will be posted automatically on the transcript, reflecting a course withdrawal. There is no impact on the grade point average for any courses withdrawn.

Can I add a class after the first week of classes?

Yes, you can add a class after the first week of class under appropriate circumstances. When adding a class after the first week you will need signature approval from the instructor on the add/drop form. If you are a freshman or sophomore, you will also need a signature from your advisor. Signatures must be done before Enrollment Services will process the add form. Students are not encouraged to add classes after the first week of the semester.

What do the letters in front of the course number mean?
  • "C" represents the core designation, meaning that the course will fulfill one of the core elective requirements for graduation.
  • "S" signifies that the course fulfills one of the Skills requirements necessary for graduation. (See "Graduation Requirements", 1a. on page 34 of the Catalog.)
  • "T" represents designation as a "Third World" requirement necessary for teaching certification.

Grading Issues:

How can I replace a grade?

See "General Policies, Repetition of Courses" in your Catalog. "With the specific prior approval of the advisor, a student may normally repeat a Benedictine University course in which he or she previously enrolled." In an authorized repetition of a course, the student will not receive additional credit hours if he or she already earned credit hours in the course. The original grade will remain on the transcript, but only the more recent grade will be used in computing the grade point average. Only courses repeated at Benedictine University can be considered for authorized repetitions.

What happens to my "I" grade, if I never complete the incomplete course?

There is a 180-day aging period on incompletes. The incomplete aging period begins at the end of the term that you request the incomplete. At the end of the 180-day period, the "I" will be automatically converted to an "F" grade. Students are responsible for completing all course requirements and submitting any necessary work. Do not rely on the instructor to alert you about the incomplete grade.

Graduation Requirements:

Is "BCHM C100, Impact of Science and Technology on society" a life science, physical science, or both?

This course is classified as a Life Science Core only. See your Catalog for a comprehensive listing of Core Elective Classes by category.

Are there certain courses that satisfy the Fine Arts/Music requirement that are not designated as FNAR/MUSI?

The following Fine Arts/Music courses are not FNAR/MUSIC: COMM C250, Masters in American Cinema; COMM C251, History of Film; COMM C256, International Film; COMM C316, Advanced Television Production; and LITR C269, Introduction to Creative Writing. These are classified in the category of Fine Arts/Music as Core. See your Catalog for a comprehensive listing of Core Elective Classes by category.

Are Math 105 and Math 110 the same course?

Yes, Math 105 (Finite Math I) and Math 110 (College Algebra) are considered equivalent courses, with credit not granted for completion of both courses. If you need to repeat Math 105 or 110 to earn a higher grade, you may select either course as the repeat since they are equivalent.

Do I need to have a "C" grade or better in WRIT 101 and 102 to satisfy the written skills graduation requirement?

If you originally enrolled at Benedictine University on or after Fall 2001, you are required to earn a "C" grade or better in WRIT 101 and WRIT 102.

Do I need a major or minor to graduate?

Yes. See the "Graduation Requirements" in your Catalog for more details.

Can I graduate with 119.66 semester hours?

No. The requirement of 120 semester hours overall is an absolute requirement and must always be satisfied to graduate.

Does Math 095, Intermediate Algebra, count toward my 120-semester hour requirement?

Courses offered at Benedictine University that are numbered below 100 do not count toward the 120 credit hours required for graduation. However, the credit will be calculated into the cumulative grade point average, and the credit may be used toward academic progress for athletic eligibility.

Transfer Credit Issues:

Are there transfer guides available on how credit(s) may transfer into Benedictine University?

Yes, there are transfer guides available in the Office of Educational Services in Kindlon 224. These guides are also available on the Admissions website. Currently, there are transfer equivalency agreements with the following community colleges in the area:

  • College of DuPage
  • Elgin Community College
  • Joliet Junior College
  • Moraine Valley Community College
  • Morton College
  • Oakton Community College
  • Triton College
  • Waubonsee Community College
  • W.R. Harper College

These transfer guides are updated on a regular basis.

Can I take courses off-campus after I start at Benedictine University?

You can take courses from another institution under appropriate circumstances. See the Graduation Requirements portion of your Catalog for more details. You will need to pick up an "Approval of Transfer Credit" form in the Registrar's Office. Additionally, you may check online forms under the Registrar's Office webpage. You must submit your transfer approval request with your advisor for approval before you register for the course off-campus. If you are within the final 45 hours prior to graduation, it is imperative that you submit the form to the Academic and Career Enrichment (ACE) Center. There are transfer guides of the local community colleges in the Office of Educational Services, KN-224, as well as the Admissions page.

Your Advisor:

How do I change my advisor?

If you are a new freshman, you are required to stay with your assigned freshman advisor during your first year of enrollment. For any questions about freshman advising, contact the Director of Freshman Advising in the Student Success Center.

If you are not a new freshman, then you may contact the Department Chair of your primary major to discuss available options.

When do I need my advisor's signature?

If you are classified as a freshman or sophomore (fewer than 60 hours earned), you must have your advisor's signature on all registration forms and add/drop forms. If you are a junior or senior (60 hours earned or more), you are still required to have your advisor's signature on your registration form but it is not required on the add/drop form if you decide to change your original term course schedule. However, it is always recommended that you inform your advisor of any changes you make to your course schedule.

What do I do if I can't find my advisor?

Always check the office door of your advisor for posted office hours. These office hours may change from term to term. Identify your advisor's office hour availability and sign up for an appointment on the office door. Otherwise, your advisor welcomes walk-in appointments during posted office hours. Also, if applicable, feel free to contact your advisor's Administrative Assistant about the availability of your advisor. If you are not on campus during your advisor's regular office hours, try contacting your advisor by e-mail or telephone.

What happens if my advisor doesn't have my file?

If your advisor does not have or cannot locate your advising file, you or your advisor must contact the Student Success Center. The SSC can create a new advising file from original documents.

Other Advising Questions:

How do I change my major?

Pick-up a "Change of Academic Plan" form in the Registrar's Office. You can also find the form online within the Registrar's page. Complete the form in full with the appropriate signatures. Use this form to declare a major from undeclared status, add a second major, declare a minor, or concentration. Submit the approved form to the Registrar's Office for processing.

Can I participate in varsity athletic competition if I am on academic probation?

To participate in NCAA-Division III athletic competition at Benedictine University, you must be in good academic standing with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher. While on academic probation below a 2.0 grade point average, you will not be eligible for athletic competition for that term. 

Can my parents/spouse contact my advisor/instructors with or without my consent?

No. All college students are entitled to privacy rights. Your records privacy is covered by FERPA. You may get more information on FERPA by clicking their link on the Registrar's page.

What do I do if I see a problem with my transcript?

There are 4 options to address your concern:

  • If transfer credit or testing credit is not appearing on your transcript, contact the Advising Center at (630) 829-1120.
  • Regarding a posted grade for a class, you must contact your instructor of the class. You may find more information on the grade appeal process in your Student Handbook.
  • If your concern is about a registration or add/drop issue, contact Benedictine Central or the original University/College where your enrollment was processed.
  • Regarding grade point calculation or adjustments for a course repeat, contact the Registrar in KN-030 at (630) 829-6349.
What do I do if I need to take a semester off?

See the "Student Leave of Absence" section of the current Catalog. You must complete an "Exit Form" with Jon Miller, Associate Dean at (630) 829-6515 located in Krasa 113. You will be automatically placed on a leave of absence by simply not signing up for classes for one semester. A leave of absence may extend for 2 full academic years, allowing you to remain under your original catalog of entry.

Who can I talk to if I want to change my major?

Feel free to make an appointment with the Department Chair of that discipline to explore the feasibility of making a change.

What does it mean to take an "overload" of courses?

When you register for more than 18 semester hours of credit per semester, you will be charged an additional tuition charge per hour over 18 hours. The tuition rate for overloads is the part-time tuition per hour that will be added onto your full-time tuition.

Under what circumstances should I drop a class?

Always consult with your instructor before dropping a class. You should also consider discussing the situation with your advisor. Additionally, we recommend you view the latest tutoring schedule and see if there are tutoring sessions available for your specific topic. Students can also consult a learning specialist located in the ACE office in Goodwin for assistance before dropping the class.

What happens if I missed the deadline to apply for graduation?

Follow the master calendar for important academic deadlines, which includes the application for graduation. The application for graduation initiates the formal degree audit process by your Academic Department Chair. If you miss a deadline, contact the Registrar in KN-030 about the feasibility of applying late for graduation consideration.

Office of the Registrar

Mon-Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Dr. Cindy Lambert

Benedictine University
030 Krasa Center
5700 College Rd.
Lisle, IL 60532

Click to Contact Us

(630) 829-6349