Benedictine University at Springfield is a mature campus, with a collegiate appeal covering twenty-five (25) acres. Anchoring the campus on the north is the prominent, historic Brinkerhoff Home built in 1869 by George Brinkerhoff, a close friend of President Abraham Lincoln. The academic/administrative buildings and parking lots cover approximately seven acres. Directly to the east of the Brinkerhoff Home is the College’s most recent acquisition, Mueller Hall. Mueller Hall is a coed residence hall and the main dining room for the campus. To the south are the buildings that were once part of the Ursuline Sisters’ complex. Today, the complex consists of Angela Hall, Beata Hall, Hanlon Hall, Mueth Hall, and the chapel. An additional eight acres of sports playing fields and a gymnasium are located three blocks southeast of the main campus. In addition, the campus has many 100-yearold trees of different varieties and a commemorative memorial garden for meditating or daydreaming.
Angela Hall, built in 1958, is a two-story building that houses classrooms, a computer lab and state-of-the-art new science classroom/laboratory. The main floor has a smaller gymnasium used for intramurals, student functions and meetings. In the lower level, students can go to “The Pit”, the college’s fitness center.
Brinkerhoff Home, built in 1869, is the oldest building on campus. In 1928, the Ursuline Sisters purchased the Italianate style home and transformed the home into the administration offices, first classrooms and library of the new college. Through time, the home also housed women’s dormitory rooms, the public relations office and student lounge. Today, the beautiful and stately restored mansion houses the Dean of Academic Affairs’ Office, other supporting faculty offices and a conference room on the second floor. The College uses the first floor for social receptions and meetings.
Chapel. For more than one hundred years, the chapel was the Ursuline Sisters Chapel. Built in the late 1890s, the chapel retains its original beauty and stained glass windows.
Charles E. Becker Library is a two-story building totaling 20,040 square feet of space used for the College’s Library, “smart classroom” auditorium, Resource Center, computer labs and faculty offices. Dedicated in 1966, the library is named for Charles E. Becker, former chief executive officer of Franklin Life Insurance. Mr. Becker’s generosity helped fund the construction of the building as well as purchase library acquisitions. The lower level of Becker Library houses the Presidents’ Room Auditorium, the Resource Center, computer lab, faculty offices and the Dean of Student Affairs’ office. Gallery space for art exhibits is adjacent to the library space.
Dawson Hall, dedicated on September 30, 1930, was the first academic and administration building built for the College. The three-story, brick, Georgian Classic building houses classrooms of varying sizes and administrative offices. On May 8, 1977, the building was re-named Dawson Hall in honor of Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Dawson, alumni and benefactors of the College. The lower level houses the campus bookstore and Café a la Carte.
Hanlon Hall, located at the south end of the campus, is a two-story brick building that offers 27 single furnished rooms.
Ira A. Weaver Science Building was added to the east side of Dawson Hall in 1961 to house the science labs and science faculty offices. The 7,200 square foot, two-story science building houses five science classrooms, science laboratories and three offices.
Mueller Hall, directly north of the college parking lot on Sixth Street, is the former Carrie Post King’s Daughters Retirement Home. Built in the 1860’s with 14,200 square feet, the historic home was once owned by the Post family of cereal fame. In October 2006, the College renamed the home Mueller Hall in honor of the Mueller family which includes former SCI president and long-serving history professor, Jeff Mueller, along with his parents, Grant and Nell Mueller. The coed residence hall has 26 residences as well as the College’s dining hall.
Mueth Hall, located at the south end of the campus, is a single-story brick building, currently used as a male residence hall. Mueth Hall offers single rooms or suites with a shared bath.