Student Complaint Process Overview:
- A complaint must be made in writing, preferably using the Complaint Form above.
- It is important to report complaints promptly and to include a short and concise statement of all the relevant facts and the action or remedy you are requesting so that an investigation can be completed and a resolution achieved.
- Complaints must be filed within 15 business days from the date of the action or occurrence which is the subject of the complaint.
- The Office of Student Life will assign a tracking number to the complaint and acknowledge its receipt using the contact information you have provided on the Complaint Form.
- The Office of Student Life reviews each complaint to determine if it is one upon which action should be taken. If the complaint is properly the subject of the academic or financial appeals processes, or is a question of academic discretion, the complaint will be dismissed without further action.
- The Office of Student Life refers complaints requiring further action to the appropriate academic or administrative official (typically, a Dean or Director, or another appropriate administrator whom they have designated) for investigation and resolution.
- Within 10 business days after receiving a complaint, the Office of Student Life will advise the student in writing either (a) that it has referred the complaint to an administrator for investigation and resolution, and to whom the complaint was referred, or (b) that it has dismissed the complaint and the reason for the dismissal.
- An administrator to whom a complaint has been referred has 20 business days from the date of the referral to investigate and address the complaint. During the investigation and resolution process the administrator will communicate directly with the student who has filed the complaint. At the conclusion of the investigation and resolution the administrator will notify the student and the Office of Student Life in writing of the results of the investigation and the resolution of the complaint.
- The Office of Student Life may extend the investigation period beyond 20 business days by notifying, in writing, the student who filed the complaint, using the contact information provided on the Complaint Form.
- A complaint may be dismissed without further action if the student fails to cooperate in the investigation.
NOTE: Dealing with concerns in the most direct and honest fashion should always be the first step toward resolution. Many problems are resolved when one makes an appointment with a faculty or staff member and calmly and honestly communicates their concerns.
Note for students residing in Illinois:
If the complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting the Student Life Complaint/Satisfaction Process, the student may file a complaint with the Illinois Board of Higher Education using their Institutional Complaint System located at http://complaints.ibhe.org/
Note for students residing in Arizona:
If the complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting the institution's grievance procedure, the student may file a complaint with the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary education. The student must contact the state board for further details. Contact:
1400 W. Washington Street, Room 260,
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Note for students residing In Wisconsin:
If complaints cannot be satisfactorily resolved after exhausting the institution's complaint process, students may contact:
Wisconsin Educational Approval Board
201 W. Washington Avenue, 3rd Floor Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-1996
Fax: (608) 264-8477