Career Development has connections with alumni volunteers willing to share their time and knowledge with current students and fellow alumni. These volunteers are available to discuss their career paths, occupations, firms, industries, experiences and majors. Job Shadowing and Informational Interviewing can be a valuable resource for individuals who wish to obtain career information from and network with their fellow alumni. Both current students and alumni are encouraged to use this service.
How you can benefit from a job shadowing/informational interviewing experience:
- Learn from an alumn's professional and personal experiences
- Network with alumns and their colleagues
- Receive guidance searching for internships or jobs, writing resumes, and preparing for job interviews
- Receive guidance in applying for advanced degree programs
- Visit an alumn's place of work
- Engage in discussions about career-related activities with your mentor
If you are a student interested in talking to an alumn in your desired field, call the career development center at (630) 829-6040, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By volunteering, your knowledge may help a student select a major and learn more about a given occupation. You may help an alumnus/a make a career change, learn more about your company, relocate to your city or expand their network of contacts. You decide how, when and where you may be contacted. As a volunteer you can:
- Arrange to have the student shadow you at work for a day
- Suggest professional development activities
- Critique a resume and/or conduct a mock interview
- Introduce the student to professional colleagues
- Recommend books and other resources
If you are an alum and you wish to volunteer, please call the Career Development Center at (630) 829-6040 or e-mail email@example.com.