Local Service Opportunities
Opportunities for local service to our community are endless! The following list offers some ideas about ways to get started:
- Food Pantries—Many students enjoy volunteering with Br. Rick Poro, O.S.B. when he takes students to help out at local food pantries on the weekend. Students are also welcome to establish their own relationship with the pantries and volunteer on their own time. These pantries are:
- Loaves and Fishes Pantry (Naperville, IL) – To contact them, please call (630) 355-3663.
- West Suburban Community Pantry (Woodridge, IL) – To contact them, please call (630) 512-9921.
- The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County organizes many programs that need volunteers throughout the year. To learn more about these projects, visit www.dupageforest.com to find a calendar of upcoming events. You can also contact Deborah Cuca Brooks, Volunteer Recruitment Specialist, by calling (630) 462-8706 or sending her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DuPage PADS offers a number of opportunities for volunteers to help the local community. For more information, visit http://dupagepads.org/difference/volunteer.html.
- Almost Home Kids looks for a wide range of volunteers and individuals willing to make a commitment to their organization. An orientation is required of all volunteers and certain criteria must be met depending on where one wants to volunteer. For more information, visit www.almosthomekids.org.
- The DuPage Children's Museum looks for a wide range of volunteers. For more information contact Diane by calling (630) 637-8000 ext. 4680, or visit www.dupagechildrensmuseum.org.
- Nursing Homes & Retirement Communities—There are also four local nursing homes and retirement communities that might need volunteers:
- Villa St. Benedict – This site is right across the street from Benedictine's Lisle campus! For more information visit www.villastben.org/volunteers.html, call the volunteer coordinator at (630) 725-7032, or email email@example.com.
- Snow Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 5000 Lincoln Avenue in Lisle – Contact Debbie at (630) 852-5100 for more information.
Catholic Faith. Welcoming Spirit.
Are you aware of a local organization that is in need of service or volunteers? Is that group found on our list of service sites? If not, please let us know! We want to make our students aware of as many local service opportunities as we possibly can! Please send all information and requests to the Pastoral Associate for Outreach in University Ministry.
Thank you for helping us to serve our local community!
Basketball camp gives youngsters the chance to learn, create friendships
Read More >>
May 20, 2013
Graduates seeking jobs must attend to all details, utilize collegiate career services
Read More >>
May 16, 2013
Instructors to share survival tips, demonstrations at Benedictine
Read More >>