BenU faculty since 2001
Ph.D., University of Illinois (2001)
M.Phil, University of Delhi, India (1991)
Calculus with Analytics I, II, and III, Business Calculus, College Trigonometry, Discrete Mathematics, Introduction to Cryptology, Real Analysis I and II, Mathematical Research
Awards and Recognitions:
- Dean's Award for Service
- William B. Scholl Endowed Science Professorial Chair
Functional Analysis, Operator Theory, Cryptology, Use of Technology in Mathematics Education, Applications of Mathematics, and Humanistic Mathematics
- Fractals, Chaos and dynamical Systems: Fractals are self-similar images that follow a simple rule infinitely. In nature they can be observed in ferns, coastlines, etc. Dynamical Systems are systems that change with time, for example population. Chaos Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the behavior of dynamical systems. These topics have applications to finance, life sciences, meteorology, engineering, physics and other fields.
- Quantum Information Systems: This topic is at the intersection of quantum information systems, analysis and linear algebra.
- Cryptology: Methods of cryptology allow secure message transfer, key exchange, digital signatures, and more. In the current day setting of high speed internet and fast computations, these methods have revolutionized communications through email, ecommerce, etc.
- Real Analysis: I am interested in the study of limit processes, and other ground breaking concepts such as zero, infinity, fractals, Fibonacci numbers, golden ratio, etc., that have changed the course of history.
- M. Kaur and T. Wangler- Parametric Surfaces Competition: Using Technology to Foster Creativity, The International Journal for Technology in Mathematics Education (IJTME) Vol. 21, No. 2, 2014.
- M. Kaur- Cryptography as a Pedagogical Tool, PRIMUS Volume 18, Issue 2, 2008.
- M. Kaur- Using Technology to Discover the First Derivative Rule in Multivariable Calculus, PRIMUS, March 2006.
- M. Kaur and Z-J. Ruan- Local Properties of Ternary Rings of Operators and their Linking C*-algebras. Journal of Functional Analysis, 195, 262-305, 2002.
- Member at Large, AMS Committee on Education Feb 1, 2016 – Jan 31, 2019
- Member, MAA Committee on Technologies in Mathematics Education (CTME) Feb 1, 2016 – Jan 31, 2019
- Member, MAA Committee on Travel Study Programs of the Mathematical Association of America 2009 – 2014.
- AWM (Association for Women in Mathematics) Mentor, since 2004