Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates →

Please click here for the latest information regarding Benedictine University's response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

Your Student Aid Report (SAR) may indicate you must submit proof to your citizen status to the Office of Financial Aid. In order to expedite the processing of your financial aid, please forward a copy (front and back) of your citizenship documentation to the Office of Financial Aid. Prior to the disbursement of financial aid, you must present the original document in person at your earliest convenience to a financial aid counselor.

If you are not able to provide the document in person, please complete the Certification of True, Exact, and complete Copy of the Original Documents form.

U.S. Citizen Acceptable Documentation
  • Copy of student’s birth certificate showing U.S. birthplace
  • Copy of U.S. passport, current or expired, except limited passports (which are typically issued for short periods, such as a year, and which don’t receive as much scrutiny as a regular passport when applying)
  • Copy of U.S. passport card
  • Certificate of Citizenship, is issued by USCIS to individuals who derive U.S. citizenship through a parent.
  • Certificate of Naturalization, issued by USCIS (or, prior to 1991, a federal or state court), or through administrative naturalization after December 1990 to those who are individually naturalized.
  • Certification of Birth Abroad, form FS-545, DS-1350, or FS-240, “Reported of Birth Abroad including an embossed seal indicating “United States of America” and “State Department”
  • Unexpired Permanent Resident Card or Resident Alien Card (Form I-551)
  • Foreign passport including a Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV). The MRIV must appear in the holder’s unexpired passport and must be endorsed with an admission stamp and the statement “Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year”
  • I-94 Arrival-Departure Record, must be stamped “Processed for I-551” with expiration date or “Temporary Form I-551 with appropriate information filled in.
  • United States Travel Document, containing the Reentry Permit, Form I-327, and the Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571)
Non-U.S. Citizens Qualify for Federal Student Aid

An eligible noncitizen is someone who qualifies for federal student aid, but is not a citizen of the United States. These students must meet some specific criteria. Eligible noncitizens complete the FAFSA® (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) just like citizens of the United States.

To qualify as an eligible noncitizen, you must be a: Permanent resident with a “green card,” also known as a Permanent Resident Card. Before you apply, make sure your status has not expired and renew if you need to.

For further information regarding Non-U.S. citizens, please go to following link

Office of Financial Aid
Lownik Hall - Main Floor
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Phone: (630) 829-6100
Fax: (630) 829-6101