Q. Who are the School Certifying Officials at Benedictine University?
The School Certifying Officials (SCOs) at Benedictine University are Vanessa Cano and Krystle Pantek. If you have questions regarding your benefits certification, you can reach out to the SCOs for assistance.
Q. Am I able to receive financial aid if I receive military student’s benefits?
Yes, you may receive financial aid in addition to your military student's benefits. Military students are encouraged to apply for student financial aid to help off-set the cost of education, because veterans benefits sometimes do not cover the entire cost of a college education.
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov
Q. Should I be aware any special circumstances regarding my income?
Yes, veterans need to be aware of some special circumstances:
- Federal veteran education benefits do not affect financial aid eligibility and is not considered income for federal student aid purposes.
- Non-educational veteran benefits such as: Disability, Death pension, Dependency & Indemnity Compensation or VA Education Work-Study allowances must be included on the FAFSA as untaxed income excluding the value of on-base military housing or the value of a basic military allowance for housing.
- Veteran status for student aid purposes is not necessarily the same as veteran status for VA purposes. National Guard and Reservists may not qualify automatically as independent students. Refer to the FAFSA instructions to determine if you qualify as a veteran for financial aid purposes.
Q. What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?
The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows higher learning institutions in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to help fund the veteran student’s tuition expenses $18,077.50 cap for each calendar year (August 1st- July 31st.). The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.
Q. Am I eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program?
Only individuals entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) may receive this funding. You may be eligible if:
- You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months;
- You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;
- You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill ® based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.
Q. Does Benedictine University participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?
Yes, Benedictine University participates at the maximum 50% level contribution to eligible individuals who apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program on a first-come, first-served basis.
Q. I changed my class schedule after my enrollment was certified. What do I need to do?
You must notify the Office of Financial Aid of any changes to your enrollment. Changes of enrollment include adding, dropping, or withdrawing from classes.
Q. If I change my major or program of study, what do I need to do?
If you change your major or program of study, you must complete and submit the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form.
Q. How can I get a copy of my DD-214?
The Department of Veterans Affairs does not maintain records of veterans' military service, except as necessary for providing benefits from the VA.
To obtain or amend a copy of your military service record and/or your Official Military Personnel File (DD-214, OMPFs), please visit the website for the Military Personnel Records Center (MPRC) in St. Louis, which is part of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). If you have been discharged from military service, your personnel files are stored at NARA, which is the official repository for records of military personnel who have been discharged from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard.
Visit the NARA website
Q. What is the Veteran Affairs website?
Q. What is the Illinois Department of Veteran Affairs website?