Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates →

Please click here for the latest information regarding Benedictine University's response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

Frequently Asked Questions

For a list of approved courses in each category, visit the Catalog Requirements page. Please note that this material is updated as promptly as possible once courses and experiences have been approved.

For freshman and transfer checklists for each major, visit Scroll down to the table and click the blue button next to each undergraduate major. You will see a window open with more information and links to the right where you can download a PDF of each checklist.

For transfer reports pertaining to a specific advisee: In PeopleSoft, go to the student's advising record (under My Advisees, View Student Details link). In the main Student Center page under the Advising section, go to the drop-down menu labeled “other academic” and select Transfer Credit: Report. Click the right-pointing arrow button to the right of the drop-down menu and the Transfer Report for the student should display, including all posted transfer courses and their Benedictine equivalents.


Can IDS 201-204 WI and/or IDS 301-304 be repeated for credit since section topics may vary?


A student may take a specific 200-level or 300-level seminar course only once for credit. For example, a student who has taken IDS 202 cannot retake an IDS 202 even if the topic is different, unless the student wants to retake the course to adjust GPA (no additional credit hours granted). However, a student who has taken IDS 202, may choose to take an IDS 203 for additional credit hours (but not to adjust GPA). This also allows a student who needs to complete the third Writing Intensive course to do so using the 200-level seminar system. The same rule applies to 301-304. 


Can sections of IDS 201-204 WI and/or 301-304 be cross-listed as courses in a major?


No, but the major may accept the course as satisfying a major requirement.


Can an IDS course also fulfill other requirements?


Yes. IDS courses may also fulfill the Global or Sustainability requirement and the Engaged Learning (EL) or Learning Community (LC) co-curricular requirement. The LC and EL designations are by class section/topic, not by course.


What parts of the General Education Curriculum are transferable?


Basic Skills, Distributions and the Global (G), Sustainability (S), Learning Communities (LC) and Engaged Learning (EL) requirements can be met by approved transfer courses or experiences. The two Interdisciplinary Seminars (IDS 200-level WI and IDS 300-level) must be completed at Benedictine University.


How are courses and experiences approved for inclusion in the General Education  Curriculum?


All courses, classes or other experiences must be submitted to the General Education Curriculum Committee (GECC) for prior approval as detailed in the Faculty Handbook. Courses and offerings must delineate either in syllabi or learning contracts the Essential Student Learning Goals mapped to that particular element of the curriculum. Current syllabi must be submitted to the GECC each semester. Transfer assessment is carried out by the GECC in consultation with the chair or director of the appropriate department. The GECC is also responsible for assessment of curriculum elements insofar as they address the Student Learning Goals of the General Education Curriculum. However, programs and departments are responsible for course content, delivery methods, and program- and course-level assessment methods. 


How are students who have earned an associate degree articulated in terms of the General Education Curriculum?


Under the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI), Benedictine University accepts the completed associate degree as the equivalent of the Basic Skills and Modes of Inquiry requirements. Transfer students with a completed associate degree must still complete G, S, EL and IDS requirements. Some of these students may have taken specific courses that can transfer as G, S or EL; this should be noted on transfer checklists.


Do the IAI guidelines differ significantly from the curriculum requirements in ways that might affect transfer advising?


Yes. IAI guidelines state that students should take both Sociology and Psychology courses as Social Science electives. However, under the General Education Curriculum, these two areas typically fulfill the same MI requirement (QIO or Social-Scientific I). Transfer students who have not earned an associate degree but who have been advised under IAI should take a QPE (Social-Scientific) that also fulfills the Global requirement.


How are students under special degree programs (i.e. 3+1 agreements, RN to BSN, etc.) advised under the General Education Curriculum?


The requirements for these students are set by the Memoranda of Understanding or similar agreements between institutions. Advisors in these programs should consult specific documentation for students attending Benedictine or a partner institution. Students under a teach-out of an existing program or site may also be subject to different degree completion agreements.

General Education Curriculum
Benedictine University
Wilson C. Chen
Phone: (630) 829-6288