On-Campus Employment for International Students

On-Campus Employment
  • All F visa holders in good standing are eligible to apply now.
  • Students may work up to 20 hours per week while they are in class, and more than 20 hours per week on breaks (fall, winter, spring) and vacation terms.
    • University policy states that students cannot work more than 35 hours per week during breaks and vacation terms.
  • You may work more than one on-campus job, but you are responsible for not working more than 20 hours per week.
  • File a Request for Work Authorization form with IPS. Work with a supervisor and the Office of Personnel Resources to complete the hiring process.
  • Student worker open positions.
  • Benedictine Personnel Resources
Illegal Employment
  • DO NOT WORK WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION. This will result in an I-20 termination, which is an action that we cannot fix for you. You will lose your current status in the United States and will probably have difficulty returning anytime in the future.
  • Volunteering vs. Illegal Employment
    • Volunteer work in the United States includes things like delivering food to the needy, helping put information in envelopes, volunteering for service projects with the elderly or children, etc. Volunteer work is when an organization specifically requests volunteers.
    • Volunteer work is not someone doing work that someone else would be paid for, yet not being paid. Not only is it illegal employment, but it is also against U.S. labor laws and the organization/company would be at risk for letting this happen.
    • If a person with whom you are "volunteering" is being paid and you are not and you are doing the same job, then it is illegal employment.
    • If you are not sure if whether your arrangement is legal, please contact your international student advisor BEFORE you start.