Updating Your Student and Exchange Visitor Information SEVIS Record 

US Visa Regulations require all F-1 and J-1 students to maintain their status.  Here are some tips on updating and maintaining your SEVIS Record.

Updating your SEVIS Record

Changing Your Address

When F-1 or J-1 visa holder moves, you are required to update their address with International Programs and Services within ten days of moving (this includes when moving to a different dorm or apartment on campus).  Please complete the form at the bottom of this page.

Change in Major or Degree Program

If you would like to change your major or degree program, make an appointment with your international student adviser one month prior to the desired start date of the new major or program.  It is a violation of your visa status to study within a program that is not listed on your I-20/DS-2019.  Failure to request a new I-20/DS-2019 with the appropriate major or program will cause you to lose your status. 

You must also complete the Change of Major/Program form found on the International Student Form page.

Extend or Shorten Your Program

One aspect of maintaining your status is complete your program before the program end date listed on your I-20/DS-2019. 

      Extending your program end date: If you are unable to complete your program by your end date, you can request a
      program extension by completing the Program Extension form located here.  This form must be completed one
      month before your current program end date.

      Shortening your program end date: If you are completing your degree program early, you should contact your 
      international student adviser prior to your new requested program end date.

Family and Friends 

Letter of Invitation Request 

Are you planning on graduating or would like to have your family visit you?  You can request a letter of invitation from International Programs and Services to help them obtain their visitor's visa.  Please e-mail ips@ben.edu two months prior to their planned visit.